As Congress returns to Washington, D.C., next week, it will be the official beginning of the lame duck session — a time when Congress is known for taking least action. We want to propose something different- how about an awesome duck session?
Here are some reasons we think this needs to happen:
- More than 748 million people are without safe water to drink.
- Nearly 2.5 billion people do not have access to proper sanitation.
- Some 1,600 children die each day from causes related to unsafe water and lack of sanitation.
- Globally, one in three children under age 5 does not have a birth certificate.
- Children without birth certificates are unable to access health services, attend school, and are more vulnerable to human trafficking and exploitation.
You have the power to change the numbers above by advocating for two bills currently in Congress — the Water for the World Act and the Girls Count Act.
You, telling your members of Congress that you care about these issues, is what is going to turn a lame duck session into an #awesomeduck session.
Lame duck is not a mandate, but your Senators and Representatives need to hear from you. If the Water for the World Act and the Girls Count Act do not pass this session, the bills will expire and current progress will be lost. Kids can not afford a lame duck session.
Email your members of Congress (it will take less than two minutes)
Photo: In Vietnam, a boy plays with ducks in front of his house. © 2014 World Vision/ photo by Lo Thi Phuong